I’m watching the news guys. And I’m thinking of all you job seekers who are stuck under those mountains and mountains of snow.
I can just imagine what is going on in your heads right now. You’re wanting to kick back, snuggle up, let your guard down, and take a break from the job of your “job search.” After all, everyone else is, right? Other folks are getting a “snow day.” Heck, the federal government even shut down. No one is really caring about that email of yours in their inbox right now, so why not relax while everyone else is?
NO WAY! This is your golden opportunity!
I hear the scepticism rolling around in your brain right now. So listen to this carefully.
This is YOUR chance to get ahead. Do you hear that? This is YOUR chance to get ahead.
You’ve got time now, to:
- Work on connecting with others via LinkedIn,
- Improve your resume or other written marketing materials,
- Practice that 30-second commercial until you can say it in your sleep,
- Work on your SMART stories, or
- Get some extra interview practice sessions in.
- Researching the top ten companies on your target list,
- Figuring out networking connections at each of those companies, then
- Sending emails asking how they’re doing and inviting them to meet for a cup of the warm beverage of their choice.
- Fill up those inboxes with messages, so when the world starts turning again, you will be turning right along with it!
Now is also a good time to:
- Catch up on industry-related reading,
- Writing white papers and blog articles on topics of interest and importance, and
- Filling your calendar with upcoming networking events to attend (after you dig out of your igloo that is).
You’ve GOT to keep busy, and keep motivated. Keep digging away at your job search, just as much as you’ve got to keep digging at the snow.
I’d love to hear stories of how you are keeping motivated during your job search! I plan to use them in an upcoming blog article – just email me at JulieMendez@jsmcareer.coaching.com,