You guys know how often I “encourage”/
push you guys to get out and network? Well, I decided it’s time I should put my money where my mouth is! So, from time to time, I will tell you about my own networking experiences.
Last Saturday, I attended Beltway Job Search Partners, a local DC area job seeker support group. They meet most Saturday mornings in the Tysons Corner area from 8:45am – noon. Professional business attire is required.
The topic for this session was about networking, and featured three great “professional networkers” (i.e. those whose position depends on their ability to network). I found their panel extremely informative, and motivational. Here are a few nuggets from my notes:
- In networking, I need to know – what is my wish list? Who is it that I want to meet? Have a game plan!
- Differentiate yourself. Leverage your life experience to make connections, and create rapport.
- Simplify your “30 second commercial” so that everyone understands, not just the ones in your industry. (Watch the technical jargon!)
- Have your own marketing plan – as if your job search was a business. Who are you, list of your skills and what you have to offer, what you are looking for should be on the first page. Your second page should be your target list of companies you would like to contact.
- Networking is all about attitude. Be the “go-giver,” not the “go-getter”!
- Don’t just ask, “How can I help you?” Really care.
- At the end of the conversation, make sure you offer appreciation for the time the other took talking to you.
- Volunteering is a great way to network!
From my time at the group, and my research, this seems like a top-notch group to get involved with if you are a DC area local job seeker. This a group run by professional recruiters with a lot of experience and contacts, not to mention their high integrity.
Beltway Job Search Partners: http://www.beltwayjobsearchpartners.org/ Meet-Up Page: http://www.meetup.com/Beltway-Job-Search-Partners/events/70823682/ LinkedIn Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2765587&trk=hb_side_g