(To read part 1 of this series, click here.)
Reading this article, 3 Simple Tips to Achieving Success in Any Career, I found some great career tips to share.
“Relationships come first,” Jeff said. “Content comes second.”
I love that this article focuses on building relationships! What is “building relationships” when you take the career jargon out of it? It’s simply making new friends, possibly with a directed focus in mind. (This is also my personal definition of networking!)
Some of the most annoying things in the world are telemarketing calls and door-to-door salesmen, right? Why is this?
- First, they are interrupting whatever it is you are doing.
It’s clear they don’t care about you.
- They are trying to force you to do something or buy something, that you don’t really want – if you did, you would have sought them out and already bought it.
It’s clear all they care about is closing the deal, not you.
- Most of the time you don’t even know this person.
It’s clear, they don’t care about you – you’re just a number to them.
How is building relationships different? It’s about caring.
- Building relationships means you get to know them, and know them well. As an individual.
TIP: Make it clear they know they are NOT just a number to you.
- Building relationships means you are not looking for what you can get out of them.
TIP: Make it clear that you care about them. Focus on their concerns, needs, and goals. Reach out and help them!
- Building relationships is about meeting them right where they are, and joining them on their journey.
TIP: Make it clear that you are accepting of their own personal growth process, patient and not giving up.
Be sure to contact me at JulieMendez@jsmcareercoaching.com so that we can create your own personal plan to improve your own communication skills. And feel free to share your own communication tips here!