Are you terrified of networking? Do you feel it’s “not for you”??? Here are a few tips that will help set you up for success!
- Put the focus on others! Don’t go into the event looking only for what you can get out of the meeting. Look for how you can help others!
- Networking events aren’t a contest to hand out the most business cards! Focus on building strong, quality relationships!
- Ask good questions! Strong questions go beyond the surface of dry, mundane information, and dig into the real meat and potatoes of the situation. Have a few in your back pocket before the event to get you started.
- Be ready to introduce yourself! If you can get past your “intro” (or pitch, or 30-second-commercial – whatever you like to call it), the rest of the conversation will naturally flow.
- Listen! Having someone really listen to you (as opposed to just waiting for you to be done so they can start talking) is such a rare treat nowadays. This will make your contact feel truly valued and appreciated, and much more like to reciprocate in return!