If you discovered a cure for cancer, yet told no one, what good would it do? If you are the hidden solution for someone else’s problem, it benefits no one. You are educated, talented, skilled, and experienced. Get the word out – through network magic.
To thrive in this competitive economic environment, now more than ever before, it is not what you know but who you know, that is important. Every day, with every action you are building and communicating something about yourself. What image do you want to project and to whom do you want to project it?
Looking for a new job? Networking has been rated by far the most productive job search strategy. If you are not looking for a job, every contact is still an opportunity to prepare for that day when you are.
A warm referral, one provided by another person, receives 70 percent greater attention than a cold call. – “Power Networking” by Vilas and Vilas
Use Network Magic:
- Network continually. It is the foundation of all job security.
- Discover what interests your networks have – connect there.
- Network laterally. Make connections throughout your organization to increase your visibility and enhance job security.
- Get involved. Belong to your professional organizations. Hear what they have to say and share something of interest with them.
- Network externally. Keep those in your field abreast of your activities, promotions, and contributions.
- Be knowledgeable. Keep up with developments in your field. Learn from their strategies as well as their mistakes.
- Network through your network. In other words, use your contacts to expand your own and others networks.
- Use your network to help others. Remember “Giver’s Gain.”
Building and sustaining a great network is too important to leave to chance. Begin to map out a strategy today to meet or reconnect with those you need to know.